How to Prep Your Vehicle for Winter Weather
The most wonderful time of the year is also the chilliest, which means inclement weather is inevitable, especially in Michigan. To prepare your Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, or Ram for drives down the highway in impending ice, snow, hail, and more, Fernelius Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram offers these three tips:
- Check your tires. Tire pressure drops roughly one pound per square inch for every 10-degree drop in air temperature. Low pressure can be dangerous, so it’s important to keep tires properly inflated at all times. In snowy Cheboygan, you might also consider getting snow tires, which are crafted specifically for snowy and icy surfaces.
- Take your vehicle in for a maintenance inspection. Car troubles during cold seasons can feel especially distressing, so it’s a good idea to have a pro check your car and ensure everything is in working order while topping off important fluids. During this visit, they’ll also make sure headlights and windshield wipers are good to go, as maintaining visibility is imperative during bad weather.
- Create a winter emergency kit and keep it in your trunk. Being ready for an accident or other worst-case scenario is always a good idea, especially when it comes to being on the road in the winter. Compile the following items and tuck them away in your car, so they’re easily accessible, just in case:
- Clothing and accessories to keep warm, like blankets, mittens, socks, and hats
- Ice scraper and snow brush
- Flashlight with extra batteries — or a hand-crank flashlight
- Jumper cables
- First-aid kit, including bandages, adhesive tape, antiseptic wipes, gauze pads, antiseptic cream, and medical wrap
- Bottled water
- Multi-purpose tool, like a Swiss Army knife
- Road flares or reflective warning triangles
- Windshield cleaner
Have more questions about getting your vehicle ready for winter? The experts at Fernelius Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram are here to help. Give our service center a call at (231) 597-7212 or visit us at 11283 North Straits Highway in Cheboygan. Our seasoned experts are more than happy to help get your vehicle ready for winter.