Towing with Your Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram Vehicle
Whether you’re transporting a camper, trailer, or another bulky item around Cheboygan, towing can get tricky. But when you have the reliability of a Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, or Ram on your side, you know it’s possible to get the job done properly and safely — you just have to keep a few things in mind.
- Make sure you know your vehicle’s towing capacity. Every car, truck, or SUV has different capabilities, and you’ll want to make sure you aren’t overloading your vehicle. Refer to your owner’s manual for more info, or give Fernelius Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram a call at (231) 597-7212.
- Distribute the weight properly. Keep the cargo’s center of gravity low, with about 60% of its weight placed toward the front. Also be sure to balance both sides of the trailer to prevent flipping.
- Check to make sure you have as much visibility as possible. If the view through your rear-view mirror will be completely blocked with cargo, consider getting extended side-view mirrors. This will help you keep an eye on traffic and allow for safe turns and lane changes. Also, make sure all of your lights are operational.
- Once it’s time to tow, do so slowly. Driving around a large load at a high speed makes for difficult maneuvering — and it increases your chances of losing your load, flipping, or causing an accident. Stay in the right lane and take your time.
- If you’re feeling unsure, take a practice tow. Head to a low-traffic area and run through tasks like changing lanes and backing up.
Remember that overlooking details might make for an uncomfortable and potentially dangerous time on the road. If you have additional questions about towing, feel free to reach out to Fernelius Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram in Cheboygan. We’re more than happy to discuss how towing works with various vehicles in our extensive inventory.